As you already know, nowadays MongoDB offers the possibility to obtain the ‘Associate’ level on:
- MongoDB Developer
- MongoDB Database Administrator
Requirements and Exam schedule
In order to read the requirements, norms and the schedule of the next exams you can visit this web page:
From my own point of view, the knowledge you need to get the MongoDB DBA Certification must be deeper. You will need to master the following topics, that are not required for the MongoDB DEV exam:
- Application and Server Administration
- Backup and Restore
- Advanced Diagnostics
I do not write here the topics you will be asked because, as you can guess, they are all of them.
It would be great if you had worked previously with MongoDB, anyway these are my recommendations:
I think they are essentials in order to get knowledge. I recommend to take, at least, one course oriented to developers. You can choose among these:
- M101J: MongoDB for Java Developers
- M101JS: MongoDB for Node.js Developers
- M101N: MongoDB for .NET Developers
- M101P: MongoDB for Developers
These are the courses oriented to the administering of the database, but are also necessary for those of you that will take the MongoDB DEV exam. I think that M202 is mandatory if you are going to take the MongoDB DBA exam:
More important than any book you can acquire. You must read it frequently, you will find all the details you are looking for and, also, those you didn’t know existed.
Here is the link to the last version of the documentation:
The book by Kristina Chodorow is still a valid resource despite of the time since it was written:
- MongoDB: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition
- Once you are registered to take the exam you will be able to consult the ‘Exam Guide’. Very useful to review and remember all your knowledge. It is a list of topics with links to the official documentation and to the videos of the courses.
- Practice everything in the shell. This is one of the bests ways to store concepts and commands in your memory.
- If you want to know how the exam is, and how are the questions, you can go to the sessions page.
- It would be great if you can attend a public training, but these courses are not cheap.
- You can also use these two guides, they can help you a lot when reviewing:
About the exam
The exam, nowadays, takes 90 minutes. During this time, you will answer 60 questions and, in all of them, you will have to choose only one or various, among all the possibilities. If you have studied enough and move quickly, you will not have problems to finish the exam. Even you could think twice some of the questions.
Make sure what version you will be asked, read twice each question before answering it.
A good internet connection is very important. It does not matter too much your speed because you only need 3MB download and 3MB upload speed. What is really important is that the connection does not fail while you are taking the exam, you know they are monitoring you in order to check you do not receive any type of help.
This opinion is my own, your comments will help all of us, please, do not hesitate to share with all of us everything you wish.
If you are going to take the exam, work hard and good luck!